Prepositions of Place: At, On, In

Prepositions of Place: At, On, In

1) Why do we use 'at', 'on' and 'in'?


We use 'at', 'on' and 'in' to talk about the location of something.
Examples:
He arrived late at the airport.
Your book is on the table.
Their parents live in Germany.

2) Use of 'at', 'on' and 'in'

❖ We use 'at' with:

- A specific position of something.
Examples:
She is waiting at the door.  
I was waiting at the bus stop.

- 'Home' and public places.
Examples:
I left my phone at home.
I studied English at school.
Let’s meet at the station.

- Buildings.
Example:
I’m at the cinema. (I’m watching or going to watch a film)

❖ We use 'on' with:

- Surfaces of something.
Examples:
Your watch is on the table.
He writes his name on that book.

- Streets and Avenues.
Examples:
Sherlock Holmes lived on Baker Street.
Rosy’s shop is on Arlington Avenue.

- Large vehicles.
Examples:
He reads a book on the bus.
One of my friends was born on a plane.

❖ We use 'in' with:

- An enclosed space.
Examples:
Your watch is in the drawer.
The keys are in the car.

- Cities and countries.
Examples:
My grandparents live in Paris.
I grew up in Spain.

- Buildings.
Example:
I’m waiting for Susan in the cinema. (I’m inside the building)
Comments



Font Size
+
16
-
lines height
+
2
-